Press release: Edina Mayor, Rotary Club Challenge Residents to 2,021 Acts of Kindness
Edina, Minn., Jan. 27, 2021 – Mayor Jim Hovland and the Rotary Club of Edina challenge residents to complete 2,021 acts of kindness.
During this difficult time, it is more important than ever to support one another and give back to our community. For this reason, Hovland has launched the 2,021 Acts of Kindness Challenge.
Submit your act of kindness or nominate someone online at BetterTogetherEdina.org/KindnessChallenge. The name of each resident who is nominated will go into a monthly drawing to receive a gift card to a local restaurant from the Rotary Club of Edina to thank them for their kindness and support local restaurants.
“Rotary’s motto is ‘Service above Self.’ The Kindness Challenge supports our desire to put others ahead of ourselves while at the same time helping the restaurants in our community,” said Rotary Club of Edina President Sam Thompson about the group’s support of the project.
Here are some ways you can spread kindness #AroundEdina:
- Pay it forward! Buy coffee or lunch for the person behind you in line.
- Purchase coffee at a local shop for a friend, teacher or healthcare worker.
- Drop off care packages to seniors who can’t leave their homes.
- Make cards for nursing homes, nurses or others to let them know you are thinking of them.
- Shovel someone’s sidewalk or driveway.
- Leave a note on somebody’s car telling them how great they are.
- Send gratitude emails or letters to coworkers or friends.
- While out shopping, wait while someone unloads their cart and then offer to return it.
- On a morning with frosty windshields, clean off a neighbor’s car.
- Allow someone to cut in front of you in the checkout line.
- Offer to walk a senior’s dog when the weather gets cold or the sidewalks are slick.
- Count a senior neighbor into the serving count of what you’re making your family for dinner and deliver them a hot meal.
Drawings will be held mid-month. Nominate someone before Feb. 14 for the first monthly drawing.
For more information, call 952-826-0359, email mail@EdinaMN.gov or visit BetterTogetherEdina.org/KindnessChallenge.